Wednesday 1st July 2026
Short Ride
Report by Andrew
Short version
25 miles, Normanton Community Centre, nine riders
Less short version
Who?
Ian offered up a 25 miler to Normanton Community Centre, those accepting included myself (Andrew) along with Betty, Chris, David, Mick, Myles, Pat and Robert.
![]() |
| David, Robert, Ian, Chris, Pat, Betty, Mick, Andrew (in the pink) and Myles. |
I'm in the pink cycling shirt, the first time I've ever worn a cycling top, which was kindly donated to me. Any thoughts that I had of this resulting in me becoming a better cyclist would prove to be totally self delusional!!
Where?
We went to the excellent Normanton Community Centre, with splendid refreshments and as always welcoming staff.
In their main hall there's often naughty boys and girls on the speed awareness workshop course. Today, however, there were folks learning to dance with top hats and fancy walking sticks.
The Normanton experience was even sweeter than usual as I had a free drink thanks to a nicely filled up loyalty card!!
What was the main topic of debate at the coffee stop?
This was about how to make coffee and what goes into the mug after the coffee. I always thought it was milk followed by boiling water, but there was a divergence of opinions and I think the consensus was boiling water then milk. (Good to know and good to see us discussing important issues!!!).
How did you get there and back?
We headed out through the Uni and subsequently picked up the Garendon path from Coe Avenue. Folks on the lovely Health Walk were present there and parted nicely for us to ride through.
Then it was onto Shepshed and Belton and Diseworth and onto Long Wharton with a left turn towards the airport.
I noted Ryanair planes coming in and thought it could be a training session, folks disagreed as this might be costly!!
Then it was onto Kegworth, passing by their cricket ground and bowling green … why couldn't my lawn look like that?
Next it was through Sutton Bonnington and to our much welcomed coffee stop in Normanton.
Home was the usual route through Stanford on Soar and into Loughborough through The Meadows.
When did you get back to Loughborough?
At about 1245 after a splendid morning.


Comments
Post a Comment